I'm using a "dispatcher" file lua_init.lua which is pointed to by LUA_INIT.

I myself had suggested something like that on the list.  John convinced
me this was not a good idea.
	I think I missed something.  What exactly is not a good idea
in that "dispatcher" approach?

For now, nothing is wrong. If it works, it works. It's just not very
robust.  Your lua_init.lua, the same file, has to work in all versions
of Lua. This might become more complicated as new versions are available
simultaneously.
	I thought we were trying to put TWO versions (5.0 and 5.1) do
live together, not ALL :-)  To me, at least, this problem occurs only
when changing to a new version, not all the time.  Maybe the authors
could improve the next version with the solution you and John are
proposing but this "dispatcher" seems to be a good choice: easy to
implement, to use, to understand.  Or maybe I missed the point...
		Tomas