Hi,

I see the point, but I still think that compatible versions (same API)
should get only third number versions (you can look at them as fixing the
source so it now compiles in 5.1) and incompatible versions should get
second or even first number versions (since now one version works and the
other don't).

I don't think we are understanding each other. There are *no* API
changes between LuaSocket 2.0 and LuaSocket 2.0.1. It's a bugfix version
and an upgrade to Compat-5.1r5. We agree on the versioning here.

Now suppose LuaSocket 2.0 did /not/ support Lua 5.1, but only Lua 5.0.
And suppose LuaSocket 2.0.1 supported Lua 5.1. How is the user supposed
to know about this? Reading the manual? Should I release it as LuaSocket
2.1 instead? This wouldn't make sense, there were no API changes as far
as Lua code is concerned.

This is the point. A library can support the same Lua side API
throughout different Lua releases. How do we associate version numbers
to such a library?  Ideally, the user would be able to tell *both* what
is the Lua side API compatibility and what Lua versions are supported.

Regards,
Diego.