Hi,

It seems to me that trying to simultaneously provide Lua stdlib
semantics along with AIO semantics on both Windows and Linux will be a
huge task.

IOCP on windows and libevent on Linux could provide better
performance. But it is not clear to me what you mean by "integrating
well" with Lua's and LuaSocket's I/O functions, since they were not
written for AIO.

I am in fact talking about replacing the way Lua does I/O on Windows and
on Unix, to make it work well with libevent on Unix and with IOCP on
Windows. If that means I would have to eliminate FILE* usage from the
Lua stdlib, I am fine with that. Probably no need to even touch Lua's C
code. It can all be done with a plugin.

As for LuaSocket, I can rewrite as much as I have to.

Why do you think this is too complicated?

As for mixing with HelperThreads, it is completely orthogonal to what I
am suggesting. Although LuaSocket is not completely thread-safe, it can
be made so with just a little work.

Regards,
Diego.