At 15:26 24/3/2006, John D. Ramsdell wrote:
I'm talking about submitting an RPM to fedora.redhat.com extras so
that FC5 users need only type "yum install lua" to get Lua, and "yum
update" to get the latest revision of lua once it has been installed.
The same should be done for Debian distros, but I confess I don't know
that procedure.  After you install FC5, type "yum install lua" as
root, and you'll see what I mean.

  Ok. We have a RPM spec at LuaForge in:

      http://luaforge.net/projects/luarpms/

They are for Lua 5.0.2. And we would like to add support for Lua 5.1, but using the LuaBinaries definitions:

      http://luabinaries.luaforge.net/

In fact, the only important parameter is the name of the executables and libraries.

  It will be better to do:

     "yum install lua5.1"

  So in the future, several Lua versions can coexist in the same system.

  What you think?  Let me know if I can help.

Best,
scuri