I've just uploaded the third revision of HTT, it now includes a background
file I/O, a simple coroutine scheduler and documentation for everything.

http://luaforge.net/projects/helper-threads/

it's now complete enough for using, the most important missing part is a
Socket library... after that, maybe SQL, a HTTP client... anything

i think it's possible to merge it with Rings, and get a simple way to do
preemptive multithreading Lua code (similar to LuaTasks, but not to
LuaThreads, unfortunately)

PD: Also missing is a windows port... any takers?

--
Javier