Hello:

I noticed that unless Lua is patched with something like Coco that uses machine-dependent tricks, a Lua coroutine can't yield inside an iterator. Why is this? I understand why a coroutine can't yield if there's a C function somewhere in the call stack; that would require switching C stacks. However, it seems that it would be possible for the VM to save its state inside an iterator so a coroutine can yield. Would this require a lot of work or add significant overhead per coroutine? I think the ability to yield inside an iterator would be quite useful sometimes, particularly in some producer/consumer scenarios. Thanks.

--
Matt Campbell
Lead Programmer