See the Lua SQLite project for an excellent example of a way to do this.

http://luasqlite.luaforge.net/lsqlite.html

SQLite is an embedded SQL database that is a perfect match for an embedded scripting language like Lua.  It basically lets you do cool things like:

db = sqlite.open("somefile")
for row in db:rows("SELECT * FROM users WHERE id>0") do
    print(unpack(row))
end
db:exec("some sql statement")

et cetera.  If you're comfortable with Lua, you'll like SQLite.