paths in error tracebacks

In message <9FCB10AC-E194-4CB4-8A4F-7B5BC5A95657@refinery.com>
you wrote:

> I have a (Ruby) script that runs a Lua script, catches output to
> stdout and stderr, and makes some HTML output which, among other
> things, provides links to the file/line where an error occurred.
> (This is for TextMate on MacOS X.)
>
> Unfortunately, when the path is long, the lua standalone runtime
> 'helpfully' truncates the paths:
> Ignoring the pathological directory name I have there, I have the
> problem that the interpretter chopped off the leading "/Users/".
>
> Is there any way to tell the runtime NOT to do this truncation? If
> not, would someone more familiar with the internals than I be kind
> enough to provide a patch for 5.1 that leaves the full paths intact?

Surely this is nothing to do with Lua 5.1, but an artefact of the
C runtime system your interpreter was compiled with. How do other
applications compiled with it behave when presented with long
strings on the command line?

--
Gavin Wraith (gavin@wra1th.plus.com)
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/