On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 10:46:14PM -0300, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> > with this patch if the user does an export CFLAGS="my favorite cflags"
> > before make, it will no longer ignored
>
> ?= and += are not portable, are they?
> We try to write the simplest makefiles possible. In particular, we do not
> rely on gnu make extensions.

if you want to be absolutely portable, you are allowed to use almost
nothing. the make implementations (just looking at the bsd and gnu
makes) are so different that probably it would be easier to use gmake
everywhere. but ok, i just tried to push our patches upstream, if you
decide not to include them, that's your decision

udv / greetings,
VMiklos

--
Developer of Frugalware Linux, to make things frugal - http://frugalware.org