On Saturday 25 February 2006 12:41, Chris wrote:
[...]
> Probably the easiest way to test this would be with the Microsoft compiler
> because it can inline function calls from object code (maybe ICC can do
> this as well; ?).  You wouldn't need to move the function implementations
> to a header, you could just declare them __inline.  At least for initial
> testing to see what kind of difference it makes in the VM size and
> performance.

I have a little script here:

http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/primemover/pm/build-tools/collapse.lua?view=markup&rev=6

...which I use to collapse the Lua 5.0 VM into a single C file. I'm currently
doing this for ease of deployment, but this would also allow compilers to do
easy global optimisation. I haven't done any benchmarking myself, but I
wouldn't be at all surprised if the result was noticeably faster than the
separately compiled version. Is it of any interest to anyone?

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Blue is beautiful... blue is best...
+- www.cowlark.com --+