Looking through the Lua code I see many tiny functions in the core.  I'm wondering what kind of speedup (if any) could be achieved by making these functions inline instead of normal calls.

Has anyone tried this and measured the results?

Probably the easiest way to test this would be with the Microsoft compiler because it can inline function calls from object code (maybe ICC can do this as well; ?).  You wouldn't need to move the function implementations to a header, you could just declare them __inline.  At least for initial testing to see what kind of difference it makes in the VM size and performance.

--
// Chris