Well, it appears that with help form Alex Queiroz and some others, I
finally have been able to install, properly, Lua 5.1 on AIX 5.2 with
dynamic loading enabled.  I re-installed Lua, issuing "make aix" with
.../Lua-5.1/src/Makefile modified as follows:

23c23
< PLATS= ansi bsd generic linux macosx mingw posix solaris
---
> PLATS= ansi bsd generic linux macosx mingw posix solaris aix
108a109,112

> aix:
>            $(MAKE) all CC="xlc" CFLAGS="-O2 -DLUA_USE_POSIX
-DLUA_USE_DLOPEN" MYLIBS="-ldl" MYLDFLAGS="-brtl -bexpall"

I then compiled the suggested "dummy" library (see previous correspondence)
in ../Lua-5.1/src, using:

xlc -G -bexpall -o dummy.so dummy.c

Then "lua -v -ldummy" produced the desired result with no error messages.

To compile a dynamic library to be used with Lua on AIX, it is necessary to
use -G -bexpall.  It does not appear to be necessary to use -bnoentry or
-qmkshrobj.

Mark F. Morss
Principal Analyst, Market Risk
American Electric Power