By the way, Michael, In an email on the make-w32
mailing list claims that there is no problem for unix
systems in this ';' to '&&' conversion (today). In
fact and according to Paul Smith, the current
maintainer of make, cd <directory> && <whatever
command> is even safer on Unix systems and he claimed
that this won't break anything. I don't know, that's
what he said... Apparently, && does the same thing
everywhere, whereas ';' on Unix-like systems is
exactly like '&' on Windows: even if directory change
fails, the next command tries to execute. At least in
our case, this is neither likely, nor the desired
behavior. In fact if cd fails, we fall into infinite
loop :)

Regards,

Nusret