If you can run independent universes and use a model in which you message
between them, then you could adopt a solution like the one we have. We have
a "transit universe" which has a lock around it. Other universes wanting to
put data into or take it out of the transit universe have to acquire the
transit universe lock while they do so but the rest of the time, they can
run lock free.

lua_lock/lua_unlock is for use when you have multiple threads accessing a
single universe. In that case, you generally wouldn't be calling lua_close
since that signals that all work with that universe is done.

Mark