> Is there something in particular to do to test this?  Lua comes up fine
> interractively; I'm not sure how to tell if the dynamic loading is enabled,
> but I did notice that the correct options were used during the compilation.

If the linking went ok then at least dlopen and friends were found.
The question is whether dynamic loading is working, not merely enabled.
So try this in src/:

% cat >dummy.c

#include <stdio.h>
#include "lua.h"

int luaopen_dummy (lua_State *L) {
  puts("hello from dummy");
  lua_pushnil(L);
  return 0;
}

(hit ^D here)

% gcc -o dummy.so -shared dummy.c
% lua -v -ldummy

If you see "hello from dummy", all is well.
If you see "undefined symbol: lua_pushnil", then dynamic loading is not working.

--lhf