On Wed, 2006-18-01 at 11:19 +0000, Lisa Parratt wrote:
> I'm always a fan of enforcing polite coding behaviour in the language.  ;)

This is great for many uses, but totally kills the utility of the
function for proxy objects.

What if my userdata is a proxy for an external vector, and therefore
wants to present itself to Lua code as a table? With a simple __typeof
metamethod, it can simply return "table". With your proposed "forced
politeness", it's back to patching out idiot proofing before someone who
understands and accepts the consequences of their actions can use Lua to
it's full.
Wouldn't a table holding your userdata do the same thing?  Return type "table" I mean?

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: ttmrichter@gmail.com, mtr1966@hotpop.com