I feel LuaBinary is slowly going to bridge over this dilemma (of Lua version incompatibilities). It's really simple, in fact, just allow N versions of Lua co-exist on the platform, and have particular packages (thinking fink, dpkg, apt-get here) to explicitly bind themselves to the specific (range) of Lua that they approve. That's it.

In practise, you'd get "lua50", "lua51" and so on, and a symbolic link called "lua" that points to "some" of these.

I'm going to be shipping Hamster and Lumikki as packages, and have been facing this in practise. Since the end users don't really want to know about Lua versions (or: what Lua is), they'll just "sudo fink install lumikki" and that's it.

-asko

ps. I don't see Apple having Lua built-in as a big issue, really. Since the language is so much smaller than Perl, it can be provided on-the-fly. For people who don't use 'fink', hmm...  but they use command line? ;)

Please build in fink instead, that'd be Waaay Cool...  (really, do it?)