I'd say go for it. Any developers are more than likely to have 10.4 (Tiger) anyhow, and for those who don't, it's quite easy to remove the -lreadline etc. from the Makefile.

Mostly, it is the users that may be lagging in 10.3 (Panther) to avoid the "Apple tax" upgrade fee.

Now, if you want to make readline work on 10.3 as well, here's the code you need. The BSD license is probably the main issue, since it does not allow relicensing as MIT/Lua.

.asko