On Thursday 05 January 2006 16:46, Lisa Parratt wrote:
[...]
> Could a coordinated project to create a standard library, seperate from
> the main Lua distribution, that dumps/undumps in a universal format, be
> useful?

Could this universal format be, in fact, Lua source code?

That way, the undump code would automatically exist in every Lua interpreter,
and the dump code would take a compiled Lua chunk and turn it into a Lua
string that would produce the same byte-code when compiled. (But not
necessarily the same source code that you started out with.)

Plain text is, after all, the ultimate portable file format...

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "I've just had a terrible thought --- what if all
+- www.cowlark.com --+ discussing _Blakes 7_