Hi,

umm ... we had that discussion half a year ago. And there was
even a broad consensus which lead to the current implementation:
the core does native loading only -- conversion is done with
external tools (e.g. ChunkSpy).

To avoid rehashing everything, please reread:

  http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2005-06/threads.html#00019

As I noted in the thread, byte-swapping is not the only problem.
You can get away with it for (say) x86 vs. PPC32. But there are
other issues for e.g. x86 vs. x64. It's also far easier to
recompile if you have different lua_Number types or formats.

IMHO a simple solution is better than a partial solution. See:

Bye,
     Mike