Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
What became of the byte swapping at load time support for pre-compiled Lua
files? I thought this was going to at least be available as an option in Lua
5.1 but it doesn't seem to be included in luaconf.h.

We have moved towards the simplest dump/undump pair, with the intention
of providing an external tool that could rewrite precompiled files,
which would include byte swapping and more.

Just IMHO: I can't help feeling that although, as is The Lua Way,
this may turn out to be the simplest approach, it's also steering
rapidly away from offering the most practical solution to the real-
world situation that I suspect prompted the question.  That is, an
application on platform B simply wants to load scripts compiled on
platform A.  In this case there's little benefit (in fact it's
pretty inconvenient) to have a tool that converts from one format
to another - the app really just wants to load them, ideally (in
the case of big data-scripts) in one pass.

Kinda regards,
--Adam