> What became of the byte swapping at load time support for pre-compiled Lua
> files? I thought this was going to at least be available as an option in Lua
> 5.1 but it doesn't seem to be included in luaconf.h.

We have moved towards the simplest dump/undump pair, with the intention
of providing an external tool that could rewrite precompiled files,
which would include byte swapping and more.

If you need byte swapping at load time, you'll have to edit lundump.c
and replace the LoadMem macro by the LoadMem function from 5.1 alpha.
There is also a line to be added in LoadHeader.
See lundump.c from 5.1 alpha.

Sorry about that. If have problems with this patch, please let me know and
I'll send it to you.
--lhf