On 30 Dec 2005, at 01:37, Klaus Ripke wrote:
-- as long as everybody agrees to use UTF-8 anyway, that is.
It does make a big difference though where friends of the wide char
want their wchar_t based version of Lua. Anybody?

I've done an awful lot of work with international character sets, and I personally consider any encoding of Unicode other than UTF-8 to be obsolete. Looking at most other modern (i.e. not held back by backwards compatibility, e.g. Windows) users of Unicode, their authors appear to feel similarly.

--
Lisa