On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 12:22:43AM +0000, David Given wrote:
> On Thursday 24 November 2005 23:49, Klaus Ripke wrote:
> > who are they to set "standards" how software is supposed to work?
> Um, they're the people who are designing the operating system. It's their job.
Other people from the Debian world answered for me :)
thnks

There is a huge amount of work behind a linux distro. I believe Debian
is the best one, technically speaking, because it has standards that
are usually respected. And these standards are usually the result of
years spent in putting stuff together.

LUA is a special case since it has not much reverse dependencies in
Debian, but consider an ubiquitous software like Perl. A security bug
in Perl now means downloading few packages and the mountain of software
depending on Perl is then secure. In case Perl was linked statically
all the packages depending on it had to be relinked...

In Debian we see something similar each C++ ABI changes... and at my
eyes it seems an hell.

If you don't like the way Debian works, you can just use one of the
other distros (that probably do not ship LUA at all).

ciao
--
Enrico Tassi