On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 08:48:14PM +0100, Mike Pall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> John Belmonte wrote:
> > I can link lua interpreter against the .so form of the Lua library,
>
> Ouch -- I knew it. That's for the Debian package, right?
>
> PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!

I completely agree about your performance and disk-space considerations.
_but_ Debian has some "standards"...

I think we must provide both .a and .so for Debian. linking the
interpreter statically is not a big deal since it comes from the same
source package (as John already pointed out to me by provate mail).
The same for luac.

If you will need lua in applications that are not CPU-bound you should
prefer the .so, and this is because huge systems like Debian have to
consider maintainibility (read: updates should be easy). I know LUA is a really
stable software and patches are not so frequent... but I still think that
we should prefer the easy-to-maintain way.

If you want all the CPU cicles you can have you can link lua statically
just changing the linker command line arguments, not a big problem.

Currently on Debian there are few packages depending on liblua50, but I
hope they will grow:

  xmoto
  stratagus
  luasocket
  lua50
  liblualib50
  ion3
  ion2
  imapfilter
  elinks
  celestia

I'm interested in packaging at least luacurl, luaexpat and luafilesystem.

ciao
--
Enrico Tassi