[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- Subject: Re: O'Reilly
- From: Tyler Olsen <roots@...>
- Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:02:22 -0500
Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
* Have you ever seen PiL in a bookstore shelf?
Can't say I have, but I haven't been to bookstores that often lately.
Unless someone has already heard of Lua before they see the book, I
doubt that they would buy it. Although if you mention right on the cover
that Lua was used in WoW and other games, you might get a few
hyperactive teenagers to buy it. ;)
* How much does that matter to real sales?
Well, I've always bought my tech books online (usually cheaper, and I
know that hunderds of people haven't been flipping through my copy). I
will tell you that I bought PiL 1st edition because it was completely
and freely available online, and I found myself reading sections through
it so much I just went ahead and bought it (I hate reading verbose text
on a computer screen. Paper is so much easier on the eyes).
* Are technical books sold mainly online?
In the end, all that I care about is that word-of-mouth about the book
(like on Amazon.com) is mostly positive and it covers material I need to
* How much the publisher actions impact a book sales?
* How much the publisher's name impact a book sales?