On 3 Sep 2005, at 21:22, Mike Pall wrote:
This is documented in the manual that accompanies Lua 5.1 alpha.
Read the comments for package.seeall(), too.

A recent mailing list thread inspired this change:
*snip*

This breaking of backwards compatibility makes me very uncomfortable with deploying Lua. The cost of upgrading Lua code to work with new versions of the interpreter seems very high. It strikes me that a natural consequence of this is that people will keep their own private patched forks of Lua with their own patches, rather than incur the cost of upgrading to the current trunk, leading to fragmentation and severely reduced reusability of script code. With my software engineer hat on, this seems like a Very Bad Thing(TM)

:/

--
Lisa