On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 09:43:44PM -0300, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
> > > Actually, the license does not give anyone the right to use the name Lua :)
> >
> > Unless a trademark is being claimed on the name (as you seem to be implying),
> > everyone has the right to use the name by default.  I've never seen any (tm)
> > or (r) on the name Lua, or its logos, so I don't believe a trademark is being
> > asserted.
>
> I think Roberto's point is that the Lua license is about the software,
> not about the name (which is not registered in any way, being a common
> Portuguese word) or the logo (which *is* copyrighted). If we wanted to
> make any claims on the name, a trademark would be needed and so would
> be the object of a separated legal text (I'm not sure licence applies
> for a name). --lhf

A lot of copyright licenses say "if you change this, rename it"; I think
the old Apache license[1] is the biggest source of this.  It's a flawed
approach, of course: since it only applies to derivative works of the
program itself, people can still create an entirely original work and use
the name, which is why trademarks are the only "secure" way of doing that.

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-1.1

--
Glenn Maynard