On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 10:03:30PM -0400, Zachary Landau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone created any tools or extensions for lunit[1] that are
> useful for automated running of tests?  Specifically I am thinking of
>
>   * easily parseable output
>   * HTML output of test results (probably generated from the above)
>   * Automated notification of build problems
>
> I would like to throw some of these things together, but I wanted to
> send out a message to see if anyone has done any of this already.

I have not yet, although I was considering adding it to luaunit [1], which is
the unit testing framework I have been using.  However, if you add
xunit-style xml output to lunit, perhaps I'll switch. :)

> As far as the easily parseable output, is there a format people would
> prefer?  I'm not much of a fan of XML, but it seems to be the norm for
> this type of thing.  Unfortunately I couldn't find any standard schema
> for test results, but maybe someone else knows something I don't.

Using the common xml format makes the results of your unit testing
available to tools like CruiseControl.  For precisely that reason I did
add xunit-style xml output to a unit-testing framework that I wrote for
another language.  At the time, I just used examples of output from
unit-test runs that I stumbled across via google.  Since then I have come
across this link [2] purporting to be a schema for JUnit's xml output.

scott

[1] http://phil.freehackers.org/programs/luaunit/
[2] http://jra1mw.cvs.cern.ch:8180/cgi-bin/jra1mw.cgi/org.glite.testing.unit/config/JUnitXSchema.xsd?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
scott jacobs                                   scott+lua@escherichia.net