I think the only way to really, really convince people is to show a demo that runs in their particular application area. That is, not a 'benchmark' of sorts but a real full-blown application, albeit a simple one.

As is commonly known, not only the execution speed but also launching speed is vital, and in that Java is definately not a champion. (no flames, please..)

We need a "killer application area" for Lua, similar to what Games already are, but more visible.

-ak