Hi,

What happens if a user of the package calls require"foo" (or
"foo.baz")
first
and only later "foo.bar"?  Then bar.lua is never executed!

That is correct. The overriding only works one way, i.e., it doesn't
work. Let's just pretend I didn't say it worked. :/

IMHO, every identifier passed to require should have an accompanying
file
in the filesystem.

But this is what we are trying to avoid. Distributing lots of files is a
big problem on Windows.

If you want all of them bundled in a single file add tar/jar/zip
support to lua.

How would that work? How would the interpreter figure out what is inside
a given zip file without loading at least piece of it? Also, placing a
DLL inside a zip file will take more than 10 lines of code, for sure. :)

[]s,
Diego.