Klaus Ripke wrote:
Moreover, times have changed.
I just can't believe people are still implementing
"Tree-Widgets" in C, or even worse C++.
Then they see they are ugly.
Then they are inventing configuration systems.
Just look at the complete mess they did with Gtk 2.
Doing all the layout in Lua based on a well done low
level lib, not much more than SDL, should be much faster,
and certainly much more flexible. Ask the gamers.

Personally, I quite agree.  Possibly some of the lower-level
widget-drawing detail can be left to low-level code if necessary,
but, vitally, 95% of UI design is data-driven.  UI is data.  Lua
is a wonderful data description language with wonderful
high-level control on top.  That should be clue enough.

That said, the compactness of C isn't to be underestimated for
the simplest of widgets which the higher-level code can build
upon.  (C++ is another matter, though it can be used for good as
well as for evil.)

--adam
--
Adam D. Moss   -   adam@gimp.org