On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 11:53:29PM +0200, Ashwin Hirschi wrote:
> These people are trying to provide a service for those who have a need for
> them. You don't need to buy into it, but there's nothing wrong with letting
> others make up their minds for themselves.

The trouble with things like certifications is that they can be forced
upon engineers by their potential employers. I think Cisco people in
particular are blighted by this. Too many managers can be persuaded by
fancy marketing language rather than technical merit.

Assessing candidates is hard and time-intensive, so it's easy to buy
into ways to cut that workload. But in practice relying on
certifications probably means you're just not doing as good a job. You
could almost as well reduce the work by throwing CVs into the bin at
random.

-- Jamie Webb