(For what it's worth, my people are not relying on
non-native byteorder support.  We were taking advantage of
bytecode's OS-independence for a while, but we stopped doing
this when we got a 64-bit server.)

Indeed. The fact that we don't have portable byte-code between 32 and 64 already makes it non-portable between different Lua environments. Wouldn't make any difference to us...

Having said that, I'd rather see the ability to load 64/32 bit versions on other hosts added to make it portable, than lose endian. But one without the other is more or less pointless.

Love, Light and Peace,
- Peter Loveday