I realized after sending my last message that I asked a
silly question -- with the way things work currently, there
would be no point in cross-compiling (to a different byte
order), since different byte orders are all understood.

I guess what I was thinking of was cross-compiling to a
different "int" size (or whatever else varies from platform
to platform).  E.g.,

$ luac -i 64 foo.lua # Imaginary cross-compile to 64-bits

This would be neat, but I suppose it would be nontrivial.

--
Aaron