First, please excuse me if this has already been discussed.

I have been using compat-5.1r3 with luasocket-2.0-beta3 with good results but I have to patch certain luasocket files to get inheritance to work.  I just want to check here if I'm doing this correctly or if I'm missing something.

Here's a simple example:
lines 66 and 67 in mime.lua are:
mime.wrapt['base64'] = wrapt['text']
mime.wrapt['default'] = wrapt['text']

I'm assuming that the right-hand-side is supposed to reference wrapt in lmime which is imported in line 13 as:
local mime = require("lmime")

But when I try to bring mime.lua into lua, it can't find wrapt in the global namespace, like this:
Lua 5.0.2  Copyright (C) 1994-2004 Tecgraf, PUC-Rio
> local mime = require"mime"
/usr/share/lua/packages/mime.lua:66: attempt to index global `wrapt' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
        /usr/share/lua/packages/mime.lua:66: in main chunk
        /usr/share/lua/packages/compat-5.1.lua:180: in function `require'
        stdin:1: in main chunk
        [C]: ?

Of course, if I patch mime.lua like this everything works fine:
mime.wrapt['base64'] = lmime.wrapt['text']
mime.wrapt['default'] = lmime.wrapt['text']

The same sort of thing seems to be the case in the http.lua module.  It refers to functions in the socket module (eg: socket.protect in line 257) but those lower-level lsocket functions are undefined in the higher-level socket.http module that is referenced in http.lua.  Again, some patches here and there solve the problem.  But is this just a matter of patching bugs or am I missing something?  Are the low-level socket functions (i.e. lsocket) supposed to be automatically added into the namespace of the higher-level socket module (socket.http)?

Thanks again for the helpful advice I've received here.

Cheers,
Bill Trenker
Kelowna BC Canada