Hi,

Thatcher Ulrich wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 07:41:36PM +0200, Mike Pall wrote:
> > - Write a true JIT with dynamic type inferencing, massive
> >   inlining and all tricks you can find. Ok, this is a major
> >   undertaking (and I'm not sure it would pay off).
>
> Are you thinking of e.g. Psyco?  http://psyco.sourceforge.net/

The last time I looked, Psyco sure went in the right direction.
It's pretty Python specific, though. But the current work on
Java and CLR engines is far, far ahead (and it seems not all
of the crucial details have found their way into publications).

There are some interesting slashdot and comp.compilers/comp.lang.*
discussions on that topic (search for JIT).

The low type diversity in Lua and the tiny core library sure make
the task a lot easier. But 'true' closures together with coroutines
make it somewhat harder.

Anyway, I'm happy with the performance of the Lua VM as is.
But if anyone is looking for a good topic for a thesis ...

Bye,
     Mike