Interesting to see you say this. LuaX was born at the time of Lua 4->5 conversion, and it still is internally more inclined towards tag-oriented thinking than metatables. That is, if you do C modules for it, they use tags, regardless of Lua version. I, too, find tags conceptually easier, at least on the C side.

There's no downside in the above, my point is.. what's my point? ;)

-ak