If you mean putting your objects in Lua registry to use Lua's garbage
collector, I don't think it is a good idea. You will get a lots of
overhead on accessing those objects, possible freezes on garbage
collection and so on. Because you application (game) is very sensitive
to performance, I would suggest managing your objects from C++
directly. I do know understand what to you mean by managing memory
using STL (AFAIK STL does not give any memory managing facilities
instead of auto_ptr which is not actually memory manager, but simple
in-scope pointer keeper). But there is a lot of good tools for C++
that helps managing memory. I suggest that you look at Boost library
at "memory" module - there a lots of useful things, like smart
reference-counted pointers, which save a lots of time and head ache.
There is also several garbage collectors for C++, but again, I'm not
sure it is a good idea using them (because of performance).

--
Best regards,
Zigmar