As good as Lua's mem management is, I always adhere to the adage that it's better to have direct control over as much as possible (assuming that the effort to do so isn't prohibitive)...

So I'd say go with your own management...

Ando

Ando Sonenblick
   SpriTec Software
      ando@spritec.com

Come learn about Sprite Studio: The paradigm-shifting 2D Multimedia Authoring Environment for creating...

- Web Content: Animated GIF Banners, JPEGs, Linear Flash Movies, and more - QuickTime Content: Titling, Transitions, Post Processing Effects, and more - Desktop Content: Custom, Fully-Interactive, Graphic- and Animation-Intensive Mac/PC Desktop Applications

It's all at:  http://www.spritec.com