hopefully it's not too OT,
as most here seem to always hunt for small tools to use in lua environment,
and  the pattern to have a socket
(or whatever else might be a bidirectional stream)
filtered by an external process might be worthwile to
make it to a lua extension.
Diego, what do you think?

On Saturday 09 April 2005 18:58, Klaus Ripke wrote:
> We have a statically linked ssl frontend
> (running as a bidirectional filter) of about 50K;
> will send link to ready-to-use package in a few days.
find source with instructions at http://malete.org/tar/sslio.c
or static linux binary (48K) at http://malete.org/tar/sslio.gz

The actual fork/dup sample is Unix only, however the same
can be done on win, which is left as an exercise to the reader.
(The socket pair need not be PF_UNIX, try PF_LOCAL or PF_TCP, see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dllproc/base/creating_a_child_process_with_redirected_input_and_output.asp).

salut