I did some, and the use of double or int is fairly the same speed on modern (PowerPC, i686) processors. However, the 'int' variant was not pure int, but a mixture of int and float, which does create some conversion overhead. Anyhow, I can say that at least there is no order of magnitude difference between the two.

-ak