Mike,

> If you really insist on making shared libraries (for whatever policy
> reason) -- ok, go ahead. But please, please do NOT link the main 'lua'
> standalone executable with it! As I explained, the performance of the
> Lua core VM suffers badly when compiled with -fPIC on x86.

Assume for example that the standalone executable is linked statically and
you need to do a require"socket" on a script called from the executable.

How should LuaSocket be linked so it works on this setup?

Would everything still work if LuaSocket was linked dynamically?

Would that imply that every other Lua host executable (a Kepler launcher for
example) would have to be statically linked too?

Sorry if the questions are totally naive, but its a brave new world for some
of us... :o)

Andre