Mukhsein Johari wrote:
>>most of the 'many modules' libraries (like socket) like to be put on a subdir in
>>the LUA_PATH library dir.
>

> Again, I only followed the install instructions for those libraries.
> make install is the one that placed the files.

most of the libraries have just recently been adapted to use compat-5.1
the installation instructions of at least luaSocket are outdated, and i
couldn't find any 'install' part on it's makefile.

in my $LUA_PATH dir, i have several files, and three directories:
cgilua, socket and lxp. inside them i have

this is my $LUA_PATH dir:

ls $LUA_PATH

cgilua/
cgilua.lua     -> cgilua/cgilua.lua
compat-5.1.lua
copas.lua
coxpcall.lua
helper.lua
lxp/
moth.lua
queue.lua
socket/
stable.lua
venv.lua

ls $LUA_PATH/cgilua

cgilua.lua
config.lua
cookies.lua
post.lua
prep.lua
readuntil.lua
serialize.lua
session.lua
urlcode.lua

ls $LUA_PATH/lxp
lom.lua

ls $LUA_PATH/socket
ftp.lua
http.lua
ltn12.lua
mime.lua
smtp.lua
socket.lua
tp.lua
url.lua

sometimes, i've needed to put symlinks in $LUA_PATH that point to the
libs inside subdirectories.  i've tried to progresively eliminate those,
but one that still remains is cgilua.lua -> cgilua/cgilua.lua

try to reproduce something like this, if the docs say something, but the
code needs different; follow the code, the docs might be way outdated
(and install scripts even more!)

- --
Javier