Kriss wrote:
I think I'm of the opinion that if the comments are important to maintain between reads/writes they don't belong in lua comments but instead as a comments field in the table data.

Well, its an easy solution at least :)

i may have to live with that..

Same for the ordering of the tables, if thats ultra important then work it into the data.

it's not vital (i do without it now), but nice-to-have

i have a rough outline (use _newindex to build an array in declaration
order), but i don't want to re-invent the wheel if it's been done.

Adrian