Hi Slime:

Actually I just had an article published in Game Programming Gems 5 that
deals with this issue.  While don't think I can post the code verbatim here,
I can give you an outline.

First, the term "thread" is used a bit differently in the LUA documentation
than most people are used to.  Essentially, a thread is a new lua_state that
you have created.  It maintains its own "instruction pointer" and stack so
it can yield and resume independently of other "threads".

I create two types of C objects to manage all this: a single manager object,
and a "thread" object for each thread (really child-state) that I have
created.

A "thread" object (in a somewhat poor choice of words, I called this object
a "script" in my article) creates an actual Lua state with lua_newthread().
This state can then run code, yield and resume independently of other
states/threads.  The object also maintains few timers and flags that can be
set by script code which help the manager control when to re-activate the
thread after a yield.

The manager object keeps a list of all "threads" you've created.  Each frame
of your game, it checks each thread to see if it needs to be resumed.  Often
based on a timer, or some flag that it is waiting on.  If a thread is
resumed, it executes all its Lua code up until the next script command that
causes a yield().  This command sets the correct timers and flags which
instruct the manager how and when to resume the particular thread.

I have routines like WaitSec(), WaitForTime(), WaitForFlag() that yield the
given state and tell the manager to resume it when the given conditions are
met.  I even keep a set of "global" flags that all states/threads can see.
This lets one state/thread cause another to resume execution.

There are a few complexities involved with all this, but hopefully it will
get you on the right track.  Once you get it working, Lua becomes an
amazingly powerful and easy way to extend your game.