Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
Lua 5.1 (work5) is now available for testing at
        http://www.lua.org/work/lua-5.1-work5.tar.gz

Looks good here.  Particularly, removing generational collection
(as with disabling it in work4) brings lua5.1's former memory
growth problems quite well under control.

I still find gcpace a bit high for my tastes (I reduce it to
135 for a ~30% drop in peak mem usage and no measured performance
change), but that's a minor matter, and overridable at runtime,
so I'm happy.

One GC observation which might help or interest someone is that
(absolute-speed measurements aside, which within reasonable
tuning ranges didn't affect the performance of my applications)
changing gcpace within the 130-200 range doesn't perceptibly
affect 'smoothness', while changing gcstepmul within the 200-800
range increasingly caused noticable pauses in the game (like lua
5.0's GC pauses) as gcstepmul increased.

Everything seems stable and predictable here.

Thanks,
--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   -   adam@gimp.org