On Friday 25 February 2005 14.58, crow wrote:
> Offtopic, but ty for that sig. I'm going to use that for a while on
> a forum. I lived by that through out my childhood, and it annoyed
> people no end. >:)
[...]
> >If it ain't broke, break it.  How else are you going to figure out
> >how it works?
[...]

*hehe* Me too. Toys without interesting technology inside were of
little interest to me. Eventually, I started reassembling and/or
rebuilding stuff too. :-D

Anyway, I actually think that's good programming practice. While
figuring out how it works, you sometimes realize that it *doesn't*
work!

When I get the feeling that some code is flaky, I feel this need to
slap it around, to see if it actually does break. More often than
not, if I ignore that impulse, that code eventually breaks anyway -
and of course, that usually happens at a point when I *really* don't
want to, or have the time to mess with it.

In the bigger perspective, it seems to be more efficient to fix
unreliable/messy stuff ASAP, before it's burried too deep, than to
just leave it, hoping that it'll keep working just because it does
for the moment.