As part of a larger project I am implementing I happen to have implemented a Lua module that interfaces to MIDI (on Mac OS X). It occurred to me that this might be generally useful so I am making a release of it.

It's called Lua MIDI.

At the moment pretty much all you can do with it is write Lua code to send MIDI packets to whatever MIDI devices you have attached. And it only works on Mac OS X (sorry).