I'm working on my first Lua application, tentatively named "LUPad". In a nutshell, LUPad is a diminutive, web based, notepad of sort.

I would like to support some form of text-to-HTML syntax. My current choice is John Gruber's Markdown:

It has a very email'ish syntax which I find attractive in its simplicity:

You can experiment with it online:

Here is John Gruber's original perl implementation:

Another implementation in PHP:

And yet another implementation in Ruby:

Unfortunatelly... the mere mention of anything vaguely related to "regex" gives my an incurable headache :P

Does anyone know of a Markdown processor in Lua?

If not, would anyone like to write one in Lua? :)

PA, Onnay Equitursay